Financial Audit Leader
Description: Perform and/or lead financial audits of the Company's Shared Services and Operating Units. Financial audits include GAAP financial statement audits, statutory requirements, and internal control processes. Assist in training and supervision of staff auditors.
Reports to: Internal Audit Manager
- Lead and/or perform Operating Unit financial and operational examinations, review work papers, write audit reports and track remediation of audit findings.
- Coordinate and liaise with Internal Audit teams to perform multi-disciplinary audits.
- Perform examinations, and provide expertise, of complex financial, IT, and operational audit areas in accordance with professional audit standards.
- Complete the annual risk assessment to determine both the annual and the multi-year audit plan. Continue to enhance the audit universe and tools used in the assessment process.
- Perform and/or lead Sarbanes-Oxley testing, reporting, and/or remediation efforts.
- Identify, document, and assess business processes and controls in order to evaluate risks and controls.
- Update existing Audit Program Guides and/or develop new ones. Design testing plans/methodologies for areas not previously reviewed.
- Develop and apply alternative audit procedures beyond those contained in standard Audit Program Guides.
- Document audit issues and recommendations using sound, independent judgment.
- Partner with the Department’s IT audit staff to improve audit quality and Department audit practices.
- Build positive working relationships with all auditees, in particular with Senior Management.
- Lead special projects and team initiatives as assigned by management.
- Maintain audit proficiency through self-study training and professional association memberships.
Education, Professional Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting from an accredited college or university.
- A minimum of 7-10 auditing experience (public and/or internal).
- Property & Casualty insurance required
- Supervisory experience required.
- CIA or CPA required.
Skills and Characteristics:
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office Excel and Word is a must; knowledge of ACL, PeopleSoft, Hyperion Smart View and RSA Archer audit and compliance modules, a plus.
- Strong work ethic, ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- Strong business acumen and risk awareness.
- Strong analytical, organizational, project management and communications skills (written and oral).
- Strong knowledge of internal controls over financial reporting (COSO, Sarbanes-Oxley, and Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) Professional Practices Framework.
- Strong knowledge of property and casualty GAAP and Statutory accounting principles as well as claims and underwriting operations.
- A willingness to roll up sleeves and get the work done versus delegating.
- Ability to work in an environment with minimal administrative support.
Location and Travel:
The position is located at headquarters in Greenwich CT. The job will require overnight travel (approximately 30%) to Operating Unit locations. Travel is mostly within the United States but there is some international travel as well. The US trips are usually 1 or 2 week trips, the international could be longer.