The Product Controller will report to the Senior Product Controller in New York City.
The New York Accounting and Product Control Department supports all the Company's businesses in the USA. The key divisions trading in North America include Base Metals & Concentrates, Materials for Steel & Foundries, Industrial Minerals & Chemicals, Energy and Rare Earths. The Group is changing its trading information systems in order to take advantage of the favorable business environment. Management wants to be ready for the anticipated trading system implementation in North America scheduled for 2015. The North American operations are expected to continue to then expand and encompass new trading divisions.
The role is to support the continued growth of the Company's North America and will be based in mid- town New York City. It will entail the responsibility for the accounting entries, profit or loss calculations, position and exposure reporting, for assigned commodities across multiple trading divisions. It will also include examination and execution of valuation methodologies for assigned products and markets. The role will involve working closely with the Traders, Logistics/Traffic and front office personnel and the rest of the business to develop and grow the businesses. The individual will be supported by a small accounting team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Maintain all aspects of the monthly accounting for the assigned products and liaising with Front and Back Offices in North America to ensure they are accurate.
· Production of accurate and timely weekly, monthly and annual reporting for the assigned products.
· Fully analyze all P&L movements and clearly document explanations on how market movements and trading strategies have interacted to create the changes observed
· Execute the Product Control function in compliance with the robust control processes defined by the Group.
· Work closely with the Businesses to improve the Product Control function for the company, including developing frameworks and procedures.
· Work with Front Office, trading desks and IS to ensure all reporting requirements are correctly captured and prioritized for all system development projects
· College degree in Finance, Business, Accounting or other numerate discipline (or equivalent experience)
· Multiple of years of demonstrable Product Control or market risk with P&L reporting experience in a Physical Trading environment a necessity.
· Highly motivated and proactive individual and team player
· Experience of Microsoft Excel is a necessity
· Strong analytical skills (ability to understand impact of market changes on P&Ls)
· Ability to communicate complex issues in an easily understood manner,
· Understanding of derivatives is a necessity
· Able to work effectively in a fast moving, changing environment
· Able to manage conflicting priorities of multiple parties
· Communication and influencing skills
· Strong business partnership skills
· Implementation of trading software would be a plus
· English native
· French or Spanish would be a plus
• Leads, engages and motivates individuals and teams
• Communicates a clear direction
• Organizes work
• Contributes personal expertise to others
• Coaches and develops others
• Listens well and shares ideas /solutions
• Earns respect from team/s, colleagues, management
§ Visualizes present and future business, identifies opportunities
§ Inquisitive and interested, identifies trends, sees ‘big picture’ and details
§ Anticipates and prepares for change
§ Actively increases personal skills and knowledge
Business & Commercial
§ Demonstrates professional expertise
§ Improves existing processes and /or introduces new methods
§ Makes timely decisions
§ Follows through to deliver results
§ Proactive, drives projects, processes and people to achieve results
§ Promotes timely flow of information
§ Is trustworthy, open and honest
§ Takes ownership of own decisions and actions
§ Is reliable
§ Acts as a role model – talks the talk and walks the walk, practices what preaches
§ A technically strong finance professional