This position requires expert-level knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server from architecting to administration including design, development, and optimization of SQL Server databases. This is a hands-on role for which a qualified candidate must be able to perform the majority if not all of the tasks below, and lead the current DBA team technically.
Database Design and Development
- Assist application development and business intelligence teams during the logical and physical database design and implementation. Become the primary technical owner of the production databases and ensure they are highly optimized and operate at peak performance.
Maintenance and Support
- Design and implement multi-environment SQL Server databases in support of multiple product lifecycle environments, from development to never-fail production systems.
- Design robust but flexible maintenance plans to ensure the databases are fully optimized, secured backed up and fully monitored 24x7. Ensure the database systems have ample storage and memory capacity as they grow and they are protected always with the proper security layers.
- Support the DBA team as needed with the scheduled maintenance and support release deployment activities after hours
- Review and rewrite database changes or maintenance scripts (e.g. re-indexing) provided by other DBAs or third party application development vendors as needed.
- Design and implement 24x7 monitoring processes supported by the best technical solution possible. Implement an operations center for databases either custom or by using commercial off the shelf systems.
- Work closely with the system administration team to establish proper patching processes and ensure the right patches are applied regularly
- Work closely with the security management and change management teams to monitor and managing server and database security and permissions
High Availability, Disaster Recovery, Upgrades and Migrations
- Design, implement, configure, and monitor SQL Clusters, Always On Availability Groups, Always On Availability Group listeners, and all related dependencies for a never-fail configuration across subnets.
- Ensure that database structures as well as load-balancing processes are working in synch to eliminate down-time during incidents and/or backup processes
- Work closely with the operations team to design and implement technologies and processes that ensure all database servers are backed up in support of the business Recovery Point Objectives (RPO) and Recovery Time Objective (RTO). Monitor and audit database backups and restores as well as periodic testing to ensure RPO/RTO service level agreements are being met.
- Plan and manage the execution of the database migrations to newer operating system versions, and the database environment mergers during the acquisitions.
Monitoring and Performance Optimization
- Develop technologically advanced solutions to monitor databases and the underlying management processes. These solutions should be tailored for applications and business intelligence purposes using native Microsoft and third-party technologies to ensure high levels of performance, capacity, availability and security
- Work closely with the server administration and service management teams to minimize unnecessary licensing and hardware purchases.
- Perform and manage high-end performance tuning activities and assist developers in tuning SQL queries to optimize performance
- Work closely with the application and data architects to translate business requirements into SQL based solutions and ensure proper design and implementation practices are followed by the design and development teams. Act as the final approval signatory for database design
- Review and optimize functions, scripts, stored procedures, triggers, SSIS and SSRS scripts to ensure optimal coding goes into production.
- Assist the DBA team in troubleshooting SQL Server service outages and issues as they occur, on a 24x 7 basis. Perform, log reviews, execution plans reviews, configuration parameter investigation, system resource optimization, query tuning and more.
- Provide technical documentation, mentorship and cross-training to peers and team members. Serve as the in-house SQL Server database expert and maintain relationships with Microsoft technical teams, the technical community at large and supporting vendors. Mentor all DBAs so they can achieve a higher level of proficiency and qualifications.